California Institute of Technology (CALTECH)
California Institute of Technology is a private university in Pasadena, California, United States.
Caltech is one of the world’s best universities. Caltech alumni include 34 Nobel Prizes, 1 Fields Medalist, 6 Turing Award winners, and 71 have won the United States National Medal of Science or Technology.
Numerous faculty members are associated with the Howard Hughes Medical Institute as well as NASA.
- Biology & Biological Engineering:
- Caltech biologists work to reveal nature’s mechanisms—how tens of thousands of components act in concert in cells, how organisms grow from single cells, how the brain maintains its consciousness, emotions, and superb computational capabilities, and what happens when any of those processes goes awry.
- Chemistry & Chemical Engineering:
- Caltech’s chemists and chemical engineers study nature’s most intricate processes on scales from the subatomic to the macroscopic. Their discoveries lead to the creation of revolutionary tools, molecules, and materials for medicine, clean energy, environmental protection, and more.
- Engineering & Applied Science:
- Caltech’s engineers and applied scientists invent the future, working across a wide variety of disciplines and at the fundamental boundaries of science to both conceive and design tomorrow’s technologies.
- Geological & Planetary Sciences:
- Whether studying the atmospheres of exoplanets, the minerals of Mars, or earthquakes on Earth, Caltech’s geological and planetary scientists use powerful geophysical tools and methods to unravel these phenomenal natural systems and understand the past, present, and future of all our solar system’s planets.
- Humanities & Social Sciences:
- The division brings together diverse faculty, from historians to philosophers to economists to neuroscientists, to explore human history and creativity, look at the decisions we make and how we make them, and provide new insights into how we communicate and understand our world.
- Physics, Mathematics & Astronomy:
- Caltech’s physicists, mathematicians, and astronomers explore the universe from all perspectives and at all scales. The division brings together experimentalists and theorists, applied and basic scientists, and encourages them to delve into time and space, from today back to the Big Bang, from the cosmos to the subatomic.
Primary campus is located in Pasadena, California, near Los Angeles. It is within walking distance of Old Town Pasadena and the Pasadena Playhouse District and therefore the two locations are frequent getaways for Caltech students.
Caltech provides one of the nation’s best values in higher education, thanks to robust need-based financial aid and scholarship awards available to students throughout their course of study.
- All undergraduate financial aid is awarded based on need. Annually, nearly 60 percent of undergraduates receive aid under Caltech’s policy to provide all U.S. citizens and permanent residents with the support required to meet 100 percent of their families’ demonstrated need.
- Approximately 98 percent of graduate and 99 percent of doctoral students receive full financial support. Aid is awarded annually in the form of fellowships and assistantships.
- Net Price Calculator:
- Estimate the cost of attending Caltech as a first-year undergraduate student and estimate your financial-aid award with our online calculator.
Year ago the university decided to transform the undergraduate housing system from regular fraternities to a house system. Four south houses were built: Blacker House, Dabney House, Fleming House and Ricketts House.
Caltech has athletic teams in baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, cross country, fencing, men’s soccer, swimming and diving, men’s and women’s tennis, track and field, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s water polo.
- Gordon Moore
- Simon Ramo
- Harrison Schmitt
- David Ho
Link to the web of the California Institute: https://www.caltech.edu/